Quite a few companies have their BIG conference over the summer. It’s an amazing time to go meet your upline and your downline and create an even deeper relationship, turning friends into family and lifelong buddies! I could go into WHY you should go but that’s a whole other post! (stay tuned)
If you don’t know anyone that’s ok too! GO TO YOUR CONFERENCE! It’s the perfect time to get out of your comfort zone and try to meet some people in your company. If you have a big team, get them to conference. Those that go to meetings and things like conference to invest in themselves and their business will find success and be more successful.
We have a conference in about a week so I thought it would be the perfect time to jump on and give my Do’s and Don’ts for conference to get the most out of the experience! This will be my 3rd conference and I am so excited! For some it is a “mom’s gone wild” trip and that’s ok too! It can really be what you want it to be.
Just imagine a room full of people with excitement about their future and the future of the company. In some cases a company and business they have given blood, sweat and tears too! People screaming, clapping and I am not kidding crying from excitement, happiness and gratitude! I CAN’T wait for next week!
Ok so these are my Do’s and Don’ts based on my experiences:
- Bring a water bottle (yeti, starbucks cup) or something you can use to keep water with you. Sometimes you are so smashed and sitting in general sessions and training, you don’t want to have to get up when you get thirsty. Plus if you are like me you don’t want to miss anything!
- You need to stay SUPER HYDRATED. If you are used to a schedule – you aren’t going to be on one – which means water consumption goes down. The last thing you want is a headache because you are dehydrated. Seriously so horrible to get and then you can’t take everything in!
- Bring a pen and notebook to take notes or do it electronically. I like bringing my tablet with my little Bluetooth keyboard because I can type WAY faster than I can write and then I have everything that I can access electronically.
- Have breakfast- even if you don’t normally eat breakfast you are going to be on the go from 7am until noon for lunch. You don’t want to get tired or hangry. You want to make sure you can keep your attention so that you don’t miss the one piece of information that might make the biggest impact in your business.
- ENJOY YOURSELF. Have fun, take as many pictures as you can. I often feel like conference is like a wedding where you don’t remember half the stuff you heard or the people you saw because it is like a whirlwind (especially if you are a leader).
- Keep an open mind. Companies always do announcements, give vision of where the company is heading and even release new products or product lines. Make sure that you stay positive because though you might not see the benefit of things NOW it might be huge for your business in the near future.
- Meet as many new people as you can. Network your little/big heart out. Make sure that you are meeting new people from different teams and lineage. This is so important to increase your community within the company, your knowledge of how to run your business and you may just meet your next BFF.
- Think about where your biggest opportunity lies within your business and formulate a question to ask those you meet so that you can gain new insight and techniques allowing you to grow in that area. You have most of the greatest minds in one place!
- Take the time to take it all in and feel like you are a part of something so big and life changing!
- Make sure you are wearing your product proud. People will be asking where you are going and this is a perfect opportunity to talk about your business.
- Don’t – Get so exhausted that you are dragging during the day. It’s so fun to have girl time, talk and stay up or out late but make sure you are on your game for the following day. (go to sleep at a reasonable time)
- Don’t – Go out and buy tons of new clothes. (unless you have the budget for it and want to) No one will be judging you on what you are wearing unless of course you work for a clothing company then wear your best unicorn from your company.
- Don’t – Drink more than you would if you were at home. Yes you might have no kids, no responsibility but this is also a place where your team and peers are watching you. If this is a business for you make sure you are not acting a fool.
- Don’t – Get overwhelmed. YES you will most likely be on visual, and sensory OVERLOAD but just be in the moment take it all in and then you can make a plan when you get home (or get to the airport, Check back for my tips on how to digest conference and make a plan of attack)
- Don’t – No one likes a judgy-mcjudgerson so don’t be that person. Everyone is at conference for the same reason, personal and professional growth and to recommit or further their commitment to their business and company. So stope with the RBF (resting bitch face), and your opinions. This isn’t the time or the place to be cliquey, or be a mean girl. < —– I mean it’s never the time or place for this … but just a reminder.
- Don’t – No freak outs. There is going to be new things your company is implementing. Have an open mind and figure out later how this can impact your business for the positive.
- Don’t – Hide in a corner. Make sure you make yourself available for people and open to meet new people. If you hide you or keep to yourself you are going to miss out on so many opportunities to grow and also grow your community.
- Don’t – Talk shit to those around you about your opinions during session or training. Depending on where you are at with your commitment in your business or no matter how you feel DO NOT be negative at this event (or really ever) People have invested their time and money to be here. It is not the time or place to be negative AT ALL. Don’t bring others down if you aren’t happy about something. Instead sit back, reflect why you feel the way you do and see if you can switch your mindset or thoughts about how to implement those ideas or products into your business.
The biggest thing is make friends, take it all in, make a plan to dominate, feel the excitement and let it run through your veins! No matter your company, the product you sell, commit to leaving better than you came personally and professionally and have SO.MUCH.FUN! xo
Here are some pictures from conferences I have attended in the past!