5 Foolproof Ways to Get out of Your Funk
Coffee isn’t one of my foolproof ways but HEY it could be if you love it as much as me!
It so easy to want to crawl back into bed, have a pity party and bring other people on this funk trip with you but don’t do it. I repeat , DON’T DO IT. Funk just sounds horrible. When I think of funk I think toe jam, stinky sweaty arm pits, smelly dogs and dirty diapers. When you’re in a funk it is really just as stinky and as horrible. I have some methods I use when I get in a funk that help me get over it and on with my day. Let’s face it hormones and bad days are going to happen, people are going to be assholes and you are going to hear the word no. You might even hear worse than that, so here are some methods to help get you into more of an “uptown funk” kind of mentality (that is such a great song, it just makes me want to dance).
- Find a good book, something positive, something that is going to get your head back in the game and into a good place. I really love How to Be a Bad Ass by Jen Sincero or Start with Why by Simon Sinek. If you really want to kick it up a notch anything by Grant Cardone will fire you up. I find sitting down and reading a chapter or 2 helps to put my thoughts back in check and in a place where I can move forward. I know, I know you are thinking but I don’t have time to stop what I am doing and pick up a book. I guarantee you will continue to waste more time bitching and complaining and being “funky” then you will if you stop, pull yourself from the situation and get some positive thoughts running through your brain!
- I love this one and it’s so easy! Pick up a pen and grab some paper or get your memo pad open on your phone and start writing all the things you are grateful for. Gratitude does huge things your thoughts and will pull you out of your funk in no time.
- Pause and give yourself a reality check. Say to your self is this funk moving me forward? Will I remember this moment in time 6 months from now, 2 weeks from now or tomorrow? Write down what your feeling, crumple it up and throw it away, and let it go.
- Put a pencil in your mouth and it will cause a “smile”. This is a Valerie Burton trick. She says that it will cause the muscles in your face to mimic a smile causing your brain and thoughts to automatically become more positive.
- Giving your mind something else to focus on ALWAYS helps me. This might be working out, yoga, but DANCING is the best. Get up from your desk, walk to the bathroom, and get some fresh air. If you have affirmations say them to yourself. If you have your vision written take a look at that and think about this funk, where is there room for it within what you want from life. If you need to take a minute and write down what you do want from life. Positive thinking and happy thoughts again should help to pull you out or at least pull your stick out.Are you noticing a trend here?! Kick the bad to the curb; say bye Felicia, and talk to the hand or whatever term you use because well, if you are an entrepreneur you just don’t have time for it.